Brief Summary:
In chapter 2, Landon's father deeply encourages Landon to run for class president, and when he resists, it is revealed that "father's word is law." While he tries to think of things that would even qualify him to be President, he just realizes how much he wasn't able to do. When he signs up the next day and sees his competition, he feels like there's no way he could lose because he was pretty much going against "losers." However, just to ensure his victory, he has his best friend, Eric Hunter, the most popular boy in his high school, to get the jocks of school to vote for him. and though he may have done all the "Why you should vote for me" signs and fliers, there was no doubt that he won the popularity vote.
His first even on the student council was homecoming dance. At his school, a date for the council was mandatory, so he needed to find one. Unfortunately, everyone he asks seems to already have a date. He ends up having to flip through the yearbook to find a date. The only person he paused on was Jamie Sullivan, but for the rest of the night, he punishes himself for even thinking of asking her. But as the night goes on, he realizes that she's the only somewhat decent person left. After realizing what a kind person Jamie is, he lets himself believe that Carey, treasurer and also dateless, has plans to ask Jamie also. He works himself up so much that after school the next day, he sprints to her house. When he reaches her door, he is dripping and dripping in sweat.
She ends up saying yes, but on one condition: Landon has to promise not to fall in love with her. He takes it as her own sense of humor, and he, himself, finds some amusement in it too, but somehow it appears she meant it.
New Vocabulary:
• (up to) snuff- meeting the required standard
• despondent- [adj.] in low spirits from loss of hope or courage
• ludicrous- [adj.] so foolish, unreasonable, out of place as to be funny; ridiculous
Reflection:
Dear Diary,
I can't believe I really did it; I can't believe I ran for class president. Why is my father's word always law? I swear my mom almost looked smug during dinner as my dad forced me to run. Well, the only upside was that Eric, Eric Hunter-- my best friend, is the most popular guy in school, and he got all the jocks to vote for me. I pretty much had it in the bag, to be honest. I mean, I'm going up against John Foreman, the "goodie-goodie" who we, Eric and I, used to spit spitballs at, and Maggie Brown, who will pretty much lose because she's not very attractive; just this summer, she put on 20 pounds. I put up all those "Vote for me because..." signs and fliers, but in reality, I won the popularity vote.
Now my real dilemma: homecoming dance; I don't have a date. I mean, I could go with Angela Clark, my ex-girlfriend, but she's probably going to go with Lew, who was 20 by the way, and a real winner, if you know what I mean. So, she's probably out of the question, keeping in mind that she broke up with me in the first place. I tried calling a few other girls, but they all had dates already. What was worst was that the only person I know who was dateless was Carey Dennison, the most annoying kid in school, maybe even in the world. In this time of desperation, I turned to the yearbook. The only person I could really consider was Jamie Sullivan. But that, that was really pushing it. In the end, though, she's my best bet. god, I can't believe I'm actually considering Jamie, the minister's daughter! What is happening to me?
Seriously, this cannot be happening to me.
-- Landon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment