Brief Summary:
In this chapter, Danny is constantly visiting Bridget. Also, Maureen's funeral is held. During the ceremony, Danny thinks about his relationship with Maureen. He remembers this one time that he went over to Maureen's house when they both had nothing to do and Bridget was off at camp. Maureen asked if he would play his guitar for her, but he insisted that he would only do so if she sang along with him. After some pleading, Maureen agreed. So in the moment, he said to her, "Do you take lessons? Because that was beautiful. You should," 47. Then, he leaned over and kissed her. Soon both their shirts were off, and Maureen was crying. It took him hours to settle her down. Then he had to mentally slap himself for thinking about these things in church.
Bridget also isn't doing to well at the hospital. She has been in a coma for more than four days already, and the doctors believe that if she is in this any longer, she will become a "veggie". On page 52, it is stated that "Maybe the O'Malleys were luckier than they realized." Bridget may end up going to a "special" school.
The chapter closes with Danny reminiscing about Maureen again: how he will never hear her beautiful voice ever again and how she always had a big grin for him. As he put it, "He would never see it again," 54.
New Vocabulary:
• pew-- [noun] a long bench with a back placed in rows in main part of some churches to seat congregations
• (out of one's) gourd-- [noun] out of one's mind; crazy
• downer-- [noun] a depressant or tranquilizing drug
• repose-- [noun] temporary rest from activity, especially sleep or rest given by sleep
• blithe-- [adj.] showing a casual and cheefrul indifference considered callous or improper
• brogue-- [noun] a marked accent, especially Irish
• fedora-- [noun] a low, soft felt hat with curled brim and crown creased lengthwise
Reflection:
Dear Diary,
How is it that today in church, of all places, I was thinking about that one night with Maureen... while Bridget is in a coma in the hospital? Why? Maureen was always just, just, a friend to me, and Bridget. She was Bridget's best friend. How could I do this?
I mean, her voice--Maureen's voice--was just so beautiful. Any guy would have done the same thing. She was beautiful...
But so is Bridget. And even though Bridget would hate to see herself so beat up right now, and even though she's in a coma, she's still alive. She's still fighting. Everyone knows deep down inside that she's fighting for me. I have to be there 100% for Bridget.
But, Maureen, my Maury, she's dead. I'll never hear her sing again. I'll never see her face there smiling a big, huge grin for me. I can't stand to even look at her body there, white and dead. I can't do it. Bridget and Maureen were best friends, but I was her friend too. I was her friend too. Never more than that. Never can be more than that...
Danny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOW that was really good, I really like your reflection, and how you kept showing both of his thought patterns, it really emphasized how confused Danny is. Also, even though I don't know what this book was about, your summary was so descriptive it made me feel sad, I really liked how you used quotes from the book. Is this book interesting, or does it get slow at times? Did it make you cry in any parts?
ReplyDeleteThe general storyline of the book is very interesting, how the two girls' identities were mixed up. However, I don't really like the actual writing of the story because the author sort of gave the plot away too easily; it was obvious from the beginning the girls were going to be mixed up. Also, the author doesn't write from people's perspectives, it's just what is happening and what other people are thinking. That makes things sometimes confusing.
ReplyDelete